Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Building the interior framework

2x4 structure on the walls



Different view



2x4 structure on the floor. All the little cross pieces help make the floor squeak-proof!



We got the FSC-certified 2x4s from Dunn Lumber (love them!)-- they are beautifully straight and clear. The yard guy talked to us for almost 10 minutes and proudly led us around to show us all of the different and quality) stock they had (although don't tell his boss that unless you mention that he loyalized me as a customer).

Seamus' dad calls them "free-range". Ha ha. He makes fun of all this greenery. But then again, he makes fun of everything. New York Irish. I can curse at will around him, even at him. It's nuts. If I don't rip on him he thinks something is wrong. Definitely not like my family. But it's fun and low-stress because I don't have to watch my mouth.

We anchored the 2x4s into the structural posts on the walls and into the floor inside the body with square-bit (don't strip as easily as phillips-head) coated self-tapping screws. They need to be coated because aluminum and steel apparently have a chemical reaction an will break down the metal. So says my technical adviser, Seamus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, I hope you still update this blog. I couldn't believe this when I found it, I'm currently working on converting an 18ft stepvan into an rv (home). I was looking for tips on insulation and this came up and it seems all of my questions have been answered. I'm also of the green persuasion and I am currently working out the plans for making it an electric diesel hybrid. I know more about the mechanics than the structural modifications, could I be a pain and ask for some more details on the this?
Did you just screw right into the frame without reaching the other side? Is there a formula or specific amount of 2 x 4s or a pattern to use that is best for foam insulation?