Monday, August 6, 2007

Lighting

Incandescent bulbs are a bad choice for mobile living as they suck the life out of batteries (4.75 Amps!). So... does one have to go with fluorescents? I find them so depressing. More searching, including marine sites which are a good choice for more stylish items. RV people seem to have bad taste.

I looked at halogens but as they are very directional I would have to get a bunch which again sucks amps. Then, at Sailboat Stuff I found xenon lights-- 12V, 1.2 amps. Decent. However, they are $29.95 - $34.95 each and I need at least 4. I might try to find some used ones somewhere.

Might still have to go with fluorescents in the galley and the bathroom. Puke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might look at LEDs or electroluminescent tape for ambient lighting and reserve the brighter, power-hungry stuff for task lighting. I have friends who swear by "natural light" fluorescents, but like you, I find them unpleasant as well as absurdly expensive.