Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Decontamination

Driver's seat and steering wheel-- notice the mold, mildew and rust



Box of trash and rotten food next to the driver's seat
(I won't say whose it is lest I lose my vital help on this project)


I cleaned out the truck yesterday. It was filthy disgusting.

In the driver's area, there was mildew and garbage everywhere, including rotten food. At one point, I had to run out of the truck because I thought I was going to barf. Good times! There was probably a lot of nice composted topsoil in there, on top of all the rust.

The box was better. It had years of cardboard plastered to the bottom that I had to scrape out with a flat shovel. But nothing was rotten and it's made out of aluminum so there's no rust.

Then I removed the aluminum headliner. I want to keep it because it's pretty cool and it will lighten up the interior. It was held on with like 5000 pop rivets that had a kind of screw/nail with a flathead slot punched through a nylon rivet. So I had to try to unscrew the pin (even just a little) back it out more with pliers and then yank it out. Over my head. In 80%-plus humidity. All of this nasty moldy fiberglass insulation fell out. But otherwise it's pretty clean up there.

Then I scrubbed the inside down with this anti-bacterial industrial strength cleaner that Seamus' parents use for their dog runs. And then I got to hose down the entire interior. Black dirt and debris poured out. I still need to prepare the aluminum walls and floor for primer and then apply the spray insulation.

No comments: