Monday, August 6, 2007

Insulation

It took me FOREVER to find insulation that would work. I saw a lot of recycled denim batts that are used for house insulation-- excellent idea but made to fit between 2/4's and I will not have that much space in my walls. Probably 1 1/2" - 2" of space between the outside panels and the interior box structure I will build. I found this place in Iowa that sells a soy-based spray-in insulation. Very exciting. But they NEVER GOT BACK TO ME. I wouldn't recommend using them. Bad kids.

After hours more searching I found TIGER-FOAM! They sell spray kits of fast rise & slow rise polyurethane foams used as a high quality insulation material. You can spray, inject, pour or fill and fix various materials with rigid, closed cell polyurethane foam. Sweet! From their site:

"Tiger Foam: quick curing, disposable, two-component spray polyurethane foam insulation kits are manufactured to ASTM E-84 Specifications and classified as a fire-rated foam insulation. This product is manufactured using the most environmentally friendly blowing agents and fire-retardant chemicals available today and DOES NOT contain CFCs, VOCs, Formaldehyde or PENTA-BDEs. We are the ONLY supplier offering E-84 Fire Rating STANDARD in our surface spray product line. We believe safety is not optional."


No formaldehyde. For thermal insulation, sealant, vibration absorption, flotation, sound or condensation control. However, it is still polyurethane and it comes with its own spray tank which I feel a little uneasy about-- hopefully I can recycle it.

Anyway, sorry to be such a shill.

No comments: