Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Wait... I forgot a step

The weekend of 7/28 I prepped and sprayed the insulation in the truck. I sanded the entire interior aluminum body (not the driver's compartment) with steel wool and then rubbed everything down with denatured alcohol. It took forever and for some reason pissed me off to do it but prep work is key to a properly done project.

I also had to remove the headliner which was a total bitch. I want to keep it because it's textured aluminum sheeting which is pretty cool and will help lighten up the interior. It was held up with nylon rivets and these feckin' little almost-screws with a flathead slot. I tried to drill them out but the bit just kept jumping off the rivet and scratching my aluminum. Bastard. So I ended up trying to carefully back the "screws" out with a screwdriver and then yanking them with pliers. Every third one wouldn't unscrew so I'd have to dig it out with a combination of screwdriver and pliers. And it was ferociously hot and humid and all the work was holding my arms above my head... for 2-3 hours. I couldn't lift my arms on Monday. But hey, I just sit at a desk.

UPDATE: Sean was peeved that I didn't mention that he also removed part of the headliner. So I am mentioning it-- he took out the screws which connected the bulkhead to the ceiling. One of them sheared off and he tapped most of it out (until the drill died). We got the last headliner panel almost all the way down except for the one hole that was stuck on the sheared-off screw, necessitating the use of crowbars.

2 comments:

Richard Thuillier (GrummanRV) said...

Hey great conversion.
Are you still in it?
I have a 1986 Ex-FritoLay van with 4bta, that I converted.
Punch in GrummanRV in Flickr to see.

I've driven mine down to Baja Mexico every winter for the last 4 years, staying on the beach.

Richard Thuillier (GrummanRV) said...

Or e-mail