Monday, August 13, 2007

Cutting the windows

We attached the interior window frames to the walls inside the truck and used them as stencils...



...then we cut them out with a jigsaw.



Whoops.



The interior portion of the windows after the cutouts were made.



Using the plywood cut-out from the inside as a stencil on the outside.



Window openings.



Test fit of the toilet window.



Whoo-hoo!!!


We cut the window openings out of the side of the truck yesterday. It was nerve-wracking as there is only one chance to get it right. I bought a new De Walt jigsaw and everything (with fine-cut wood and medium-density metal blades).

We started inside, marking the window locations on the walls of the interior box. I used the window frames (from Singleton's RV Salvage & Sales) as templates. Apparently, my measurements between the vertical support ribs was wrong. Seamus drilled a pilot hole for the jigsaw with a hole saw and saw rib through it. So we had to stop and reconfigure. The foam underneath the plywood made it extremely difficult to reach behind and feel for the ribs. We found most of them but we still had to remove and then replace one panel. Cursing. So then Seamus drilled the rest of the pilot holes and then cut the openings in the plywood with the jigsaw.

Then came the scary part-- drilling reference/pilot holes through the aluminum body of the truck. If you don't get it right the first time, you're screwed. He drilled 8 holes for the first window (the small toilet window) and then I went outside with the plywood cut-out from inside and used it as a stencil. The holes were off a bit so I measured from the top and front rails and got it as close as I could. The windows are at least 6 ft off the ground so they're pretty good, security-wise.

Then Seamus got up the ladder and started cutting the body. Easier cutting than we expected, even though the aluminum is about 1/8" thick. We put the window in place and it looks like it had been there all along!!! It was great! We did the rest of the window openings that way and they all look great. Blades were flying off and bending but we made it through with the four we had.

In case you're wondering why Seamus was using MY new toy, the jigsaw, it's because he is very accurate and has worked with cutting metal much more than me. Sometimes it's good to abdicate your power. Besides, I was too freaked out to cut into the aluminum myself. If I cut it wrong the truck would never forgive me.

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Hi... I just "discovered" your blog while Googling converting step vans into urban dwellings! I've read (almost) all your entries (I'm at work and have
to appear as if I'm actually working) and am excited to have found you! You're doing EXACTLY what I want to do... make an urban RV that's as close to "off-grid" as possible. Your story is so close to mine, it's quite ridiculous! I currently live in Orlando, FL, but have visited and hope to
move to Portland or Eugene, Oregon next Summer. Thanks for having this blog... it reminds me how much I love the Internet. Anyways... I can't wait
to read more. Good luck!!!